It's 1:22 AM on Tuesday night... er Monday morning... watching Andrew pack and learning how to blog. Wow, this is emo. I am talking to myself. Anyhow, I wanted to call my blog "Nine Months" - as in nine months in Israel - but Google told me that the url ninemonths.blogspot.com was already taken. When I went to investigate why, I discovered that the blog entitled "Nine Months" is about some woman's pregnancy. (I really shouldn't have been all that surprised.) So before there's any confusion, I just want to make it clear that I am not pregnant, nor do I intend to become pregnant. The nine months that this blog is about are the nine months I'm about to spend in Israel, participating in a program called Workshop. The program is part volunteering, part Israeli immersion, and part communal living... or socialism, if you will. For a little more information on the program, let me refer you to the program's website: http://www.habonimdror.org/programs/workshop.html
After reading that little program description (if you actually went to the site, that is), you may be wondering why I'm choosing to go live like a hippie for nine months in Israel. The answer is a little complicated, and will probably change as I learn more about what I'm actually doing, living communally and volunteering with both Israelis and Palestinians in one of the most heated conflicts in the world. In a nutshell, I believe in the aims of the Habonim Dror movement, I support Israel (though I'm not entirely sure why), and I can't think of any convincing reasons why not to go.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment